I studied Astrology for 10 years, and now only use it for myself and my immediate (trusted) friends. I've learnt that knowing Astrology is a double-edged sword ... people tend to like it when it tells them what they want to hear, but attack the Astrologer when it doesn't ;)
With that disclaimer in mind, I am going to talk about Mercury Retrograde. Mercury Retrograde (or Mercury Rx) gets a bad rap amongst non-Astrologers who dabble. They see it as a time when everything goes wrong - and sometimes that's true. But really, it's just a time for looking at things from a different perspective.
A planet is described as 'retrograde' when it appears to be moving backwards through the zodiac ... as Astrologer Rob Tillett describes, "it's a bit like travelling on the road watching another car beside you: when the other car slows down, or you speed up, it looks as though the other car is moving backwards."
Traditionally, this is a great time for computers to crash, car accidents, losing your phone, and you should never get on a plane during Mercury Retrograde (Mercury rules communications, internet, travel, etc.). But this is also a time for standing up for what you believe in, and facing challenges with confidence (since Mercury is in Aries). Since Uranus is also in Aries, these challenges will be sudden and sometimes explosive.
So what does this mean??
These are the main pointers for Mercury Retrograde in Aries:
- We may be faced with revelations that we don't want to hear ... but that you suspected all along.
- We may come across people from our past - ask yourself why they have appeared? It is to teach you a lesson, or is it something they need to learn?
- Deep-seated fears may be triggered - have the confidence to stand up for yourself, stand up for what you believe in.
- Addictions and abusive tendencies may be exacerbated - try not to use escapism such as drugs, food, alcohol etc. to avoid action.
- There may be an increase in riots and other forms of aggression.
- Aries is very 'ME' oriented ... you may come across these sort of people, who are ego-centric, though this is usually out of fear.
- One blog I was reading suggested thinking about 'what you wanted to 'BE' when you were a young teen?'
- Show initiative.
- Be assertive, but not in an aggressive way.
- Be true to yourself, even if it upsets other people ... that's their problem, not yours.
I always keep an eye on Mercury Rx (which usually happens a few times a year), but this one has been very interesting already! I have seen some very nasty people from my past (all of them Aries-style aggressors/bullies/controllers, though seemingly unaware of the fact), but I have also had some wonderful successes (selling 4 bookmark kits in 3 days!). I'm taking this as a sign that I'm on the right track in my life right now. Sometimes you need to see how far you've come though ;)
Astrology is not black and white - there are always a few definitions for any one planetary placement. It all depends on all the other things in your life. For a bully, this Mercury Retrograde may be telling them to look within themselves and ask why they are bullying others? Usually it's a deep-seated lack of confidence and self-worth. For the timid 'victim', it's telling them to be more assertive and stand up for themselves. Makes sense, doesn't it?
Anyway, during the next couple of weeks, I encourage you to look at unusual situations as they arise, and try to understand what life is trying to tell you. You'll find that the more positive aspects you see in a situation, the more positivity you'll attract. Notice how people who are always complaining tend to have negative things happen to them to cause *more* complaining?
Mercury Retrograde is a great time to relax and recharge your batteries. Clean up your rooms, throw out old junk, review your dreams for the future. It can be introspective, but that's a good thing if it's done in a positive frame of mind.
Little Astrology lesson over for the moment ;)