Tuesday, March 27, 2012

shadowplay radio show



Shadowplay is a mix of trad goth rock, dark ambient, deathrock, coldwave and electro-goth. We don't play EBM, and usually post-punk is saved for my solo show, Cannibal Roses.

It's certainly a lot of work programming a weekly radio show, but I love it! I remember listening to Blood & Black Dahlias when I was in my early 20s (and learning a lot about goth music as a consequence), never imagining I would be carrying the batten in my late 30s ;) I remember being amazed and astounded when I first listened to Christian Death's 'Only Theatre Of Pain' in the late 1980s ... this is still one of my favourite albums!

Shadowplay is, as far as we know, the longest-running goth radio show in the world. It started in 1996 as Blood & Black Dahlias on Three D Radio, a community station in Adelaide, South Australia. In 2004 the name was changed to Shadowplay. My partner Anita has been co-hosting on and off since 1999, and I joined her in 2008.

In 2011 we decided to move from Three D to the 24 hour goth radio station Cathedral 13 - our audience has grown substantially, and we are now able to podcast our shows on our blog.

If you're interested in 'real' goth music, go and have a listen!

6 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for the links!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries! I hope you enjoy the show ;)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Heh heh, I'm *always* excited by the mooooosic!!! Hopefully you can understand our weird Australian accents ;)

      Delete
  3. awesome. heading there naow!! :) also, can't remember if you got this but I have a facebook group you may be interested in: http://www.facebook.com/groups/248527528567367/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thanks - I just asked to join! Hrmm, am I too colourful though?? ;P

      Delete