Friday, April 6, 2012

hip hair


I found this book in my collection ... seriously, it was in my bookshelf amongst Andre Gide, Simone De Beauvoir and Virginia Woolf ;)   It was a new book when given to me, at the tender age of 11 (so it's from 1985) - I wonder whether it worked its way into my subconscious at a tender age?

I remember at the time thinking how CRAZY this book was - now it seems pretty normal to me, heh :P  I'm so glad I kept it - it's probably the only thing I have kept from my childhood actually (apart from a couple of bad records).

Anyway, I LOVED this pic - when I finally got my undercut done at 19, this is what I was thinking of (even though I decided to shave all the way around):

And this one is a gorgeous example of skillful teasing ;)

How cool are these dreads?!

The rest of the book is full of buzz cuts, some hair-teasing tips (mousse!), and a couple of retro-inspired beehives. Good stuff!

4 comments:

  1. Woooooooo! That sounds like an AMAZING book! =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is ... but these are definitely the highlight pages! The cover has fallen off, but I'll make sure I'll keep this one ;)

      Delete
  2. hehe, i was born in 1985! but seriously, that sounds like a superstylish book! i'm not surprised that it inspired you :o)

    yaga
    http://www.shinybubbles.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Yaga, you missed out on the best decade!! ;)
      So many style gems in the 80s, that's for sure!

      Delete