Sorry, I've been a bit slack in posting pics of my large tapestry in progress ... truth is, I haven't worked on it much since we moved house, since I've had 2 assignments due in July and have been madly trying to finish those!
But I have a few days off while our kitchen is getting done (that will be a separate blog entry!), so I'm taking the opportunity to work on it! Here it was before I started on it again:
And some details - I have tried adding a bit of purple, but after getting feedback from my lecturer to 'keep it simple!', I've abandoned it - though I don't think it matters if this bit stays:
After reading Mardi Nowak's blog, and seeing that she use linen to 'stiffen up' her tapestries, I thought I'd give it a go. So I ordered a couple of cones of linen weft (the purple is for another project) - I've started adding one strand of linen with 2 strands of the 2 ply Ashford Merino in the black - it's GORGEOUS to weave with - not as 'spongy'!
Pretty expensive though - $18 for 125g, so I will be using it sparingly ;)
I wove solidly from 8.00am yesterday right through to when Anita got home at 6.15pm ... WOAH! I found I was really enjoying it - I think it's because it's a design I'm really into. Here's the progress pics:
The curve you can see in the middle of the above pic is where the face will start! Since I'm weaving on the side, it really looks like this:
And in the next pic you can really see the 'lazy line' technique I've used on the black to avoid too much pulling in on the edges:
I love this technique, because it's not only practical, but also gives some extra texture to a plain part of weaving. The strand of linen gives a slight sheen too ... just wish I'd ordered some white linen for the face! Ah well, next tapestry I'll make sure I have a larger collection of linen ;)
OK, back to another day of weaving ... BLISS!!! ;)