Thursday, September 6, 2012
one lovely blog / liebster awards
I confess I've been naughty and haven't responded to my One Lovely Blog award from the lovely Laura from Color-Spirit-Attitude ... and since I just received a Liebster from (another!) Laura from Roses And Vellum, I thought I'd combine the two lots of questions in one post ;)
So apparently I have to tell you 15 things about myself ... here goes (in no particular order)!
1. I am an extremist ... I always like to push things that bit further.
2. If I like an item of clothing, I have to have it in many colours. One is never enough! I also like to get 'back-ups' ... otherwise, what happens when my bloomers are in the wash?? (see no. 1)
3. I am obsessed with cross stitch - I could seriously stitch all day!
4. I enjoy studying woven tapestry, but I still feel that it is waaaay too difficult for me to ever master (I'm sure all tapestry artists felt that way while learning!)
5. After growing up with dogs, and previously owning dogs, I have recently discovered I'm a cat person. Saying that, I love all animals.
6. I'm a lone wolf by nature - probably because I was by myself so much while growing up, I really like my own company.
7. I really like internet friendships!! Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy having real-life friends, but I prefer socialising on-line because I can do it when I feel like it, in between doing my own stuff :P See no. 6 for reference ;)
8. I hate most mainstream things - always have, even from a young age. I have a 'mainstream filter', and don't let a lot of things get into my consciousness. I'm not sure why, but I'm just not into what most people are into.
9. Referring to no. 8, there *are* a few exceptions: British crime shows, the Law & Order Franchise, and Escape To The Country. There, I said it! :P
10. I use waaaay too many exclamation marks and emoticons !!!! :P ;) HA!
11. I really only like old black and white movies - preferably from the 30s and 40s, and not the mainstream blockbuster ones ;) My favourite movie is 'The Women', from 1939.
12. No surprise, but I was bullied all the way from late primary school right through to the end of high school for being 'weird'. I have since embraced my weirdness, because you can't fake being normal.
13. I love living in Adelaide, and hate when people say it's boring. Only boring people get bored - people who need constant entertaining really need to get a hobby (cross stitch, hint hint :P)
14. I studied Astrology seriously for 10 years. I never intended to practice professionally, but was interested just for myself.
15. I've never cared about fashion, or about what other people think. I gave that up when I was about 18. I just do what I want and look how I want to keep *myself* happy ;)
Now I'm going to attempt to answer Laura's questions ....
1. What book, movie or real life person most influences or inspires you? How?
Oooo, so many! I really admire creative people who are passionate and do what they want - the person who comes to mind straight away is Kaffe Fassett, who is a brilliant artist (now in his 70s) who revolutionised needlepoint, knitting, quilting and mosaics. Apparently I'm getting his autobiography for my birthday *wink*!
2. What is your favourite wild animal? (Not dog, cat, etc.) and why.
Bats! They fascinate me, and I'd like to learn more about them ... oh, and they have cute little faces ;)
3. If you had to choose between not sleeping ever again or not using the internet ever again (not even for research, email or assignments) which would you choose?
Definitely not sleeping ... sleeping is *such* as waste of time!!
4. What is your favourite outfit? Put a picture here or describe it.
I've gotta say my good ol' bloomers - they are so comfy, and I always feel good wearing them. I confess to having 2 pairs in black (pictured), a red and black striped pair and a pink and black striped pair ... so far ;)
5. What is the best book you ever read and why?
'Infinite Jest' by David Foster Wallace - it's seriously the most difficult, longest and weirdest book I've ever read. I've read it 3 times, and still need to read it a few more to really understand it ... it's a serious head f**k, but for some reason it keeps drawing me back in.
6. If you could live in any era (past and present only) what would it be and why?
I think I needed to be a bit older in the 1980s - I was too young to appreciate how vibrant the music and fashion was.
7. Do you have a hobby? What is it?
My 'hobbies' really are my life! I love cross stitch (though that's morphing from hobby to fledgling business), woven tapestry and DJing both my radio shows (Shadowplay and Cannibal Roses). So the short answer is art and music ;)
8. Do you prefer skirts or pants?
I wear skirts to work and bloomers on the weekend. Do bloomers count as pants?? I don't ever wear jeans or trousers - they're just not 'me'!
9. You are given a ticket to go to one city in the world. Which one would it be and why?
I've never been particularly interested in travelling, but as I'm getting older there are a few people I'd like to meet and places I'd like to visit. I would like to eat my way around Paris though ;)
10. You fall down a hole in the pavement and end up in Wonderland. What do you do?
Hang on, I thought I was already in Wonderland?? That's how my life feels most of the time, anyway :P
11. Who is your favourite blogger and why? (I don't expect you to say me :P I am interested in discovering interesting blogs!)
My favourite blogger changes all the time, though at the moment I am super-inspired by my favourite tapestry artists Mardi Nowak and Erin M Riley - they are superstars!!
Instead of tagging people, I'm going to list a few blogs that I enjoy reading (in no particular order) - enjoy!
1. Color-Spirit-Attitude - awesome makeup!
2. Linnea-Maria - beautiful, serene pictures
3. Miss Mardi Nowak - amazing tapestry artist, who packs a lot of other stuff into her life too!
4. Kaiteyarngarden - textile artist and talented gardener
5. Marymac - Mary is talented in all forms of textile art
6. Bethezda's Preoccupations - amazing makeup skillz!
7. Coffin Kitsch - very cool style and music taste ;)
8. Gothy Two-Shoes - fellow Australian goth
9. Bones And Lillies - lovely makeup and fashion
10. Erin M Riley - incredible tapestry artist, who really pushes the boundaries
11. The Dancing Maenad - I love Franny's outlook on life!
12. Roses And Vellum - Neo-Victorian bookworm