Monday, January 21, 2013

weaving update


I just realised that I hadn't done a weaving update for a while. I spent most of my 3 week holiday weaving - seriously! The only time I wasn't weaving was when it was too hot upstairs ... I'd weave from early in the morning until it became unbearable, then I'd go downstairs and do some stitching ;)

Firstly, here's me with my first cowl prototype - the Red TAW ('trompe as writ'):


I'm not sure whether I'll continue to sew them as a tube like this, or twist them around as an 'infinity scarf' - I'll have to play and see what sits better ;)

The following have not been finished off, ironed, or made up into anything. Yes, I really have to do the 'boring bits' in order to get these off my desk :P Here's the completed handspun 'dornik' twill:


Then I tried a long, double length cowl - Anita prefers to wrap hers around twice. This is another gorgeous twill, which is easier to weave than it looks:


Then Lily wanted her own little cowl in pink and purple (what else would a 5 year old girl choose?) - since kids find wool a bit scratchy, I thought I'd experiment with acrylic yarn. It was super-cheap, but not as easy to weave with as I thought it would be! It was my first foray into a 2-colour weft, as well as using 2 separate shuttles.


And here it is off the loom - it's OKish, but not as impressive as it should have been! Lily loves it though, which I guess is the point :P


Yesterday I warped up my loom to try out the 'overshot' technique. It's turning out well so far ... but so far twills are still my favourite!

4 comments:

  1. Wow, your weaving is amazing! I can't even imagine making those patterns!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you so much! The weaving isn't too difficult - it's warping up the loom and keeping the edges neat that is the challenge! ;)

      Delete
  2. I think Lilys shawl turned out great!! I know lots of adults too who find wool to itchy. It's amazing how even and well made your weaves look after just a few trials. I think you have a good buisness in these cowls and shawls :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Therese! The acrylic is good, but it stretches in a different way than wool does ;)

      I really hope I can sell some - thanks for your encouragement! ;)

      Delete