Monday, March 18, 2013

care australia - 'walk in her shoes'


My rant:  Why is it that there are so many people using fundraising sites to get cash for their personal endeavours, like studying, making trinkets, etc?  Whatever happened to good ol' fashioned SAVING??

OK, rant over ;)  But I do want to share something with you here - with the above in mind, Anita decided to participate in the Care Australia Walk In Her Shoes challenge, whereby between 18-24 March you walk 10,000 steps a day, which is the equivalent of the average a woman has to walk in developing countries just to collect water (about 6km).  Women in these countries are even more disadvantaged and impoverished than other members of these societies ...

I would LOVE if you could please head over to this page to donate to Care Australia (a non-religious organisation) - even the smallest donation will make a difference, and they accept PayPal - donations are tax deductible, of course ;)

  

So far she's only collected $40 (that's me!), and her work colleagues are in the process of collating everyone's donations ... but it would be great if we could get a bit more!

Usually donations are a personal thing for me, which is why I wouldn't normally post this link ... but lately I have been bombarded with 'donate so we can release this album', 'donate so I can bring out a new clothing line', 'donate so we can make this movie', and it's doing my head in - the latter request had raised $30,500!!  How shallow is that, when there are so many more worthy causes in the world?? 

What do you think of the new 'fundraising' sites, or is it just me who has noticed them all?



8 comments:

  1. Thank you so much! I appreciate this, sweetie! :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's a fantastic cause! xx

      Delete
  2. I have noticed these, I often try to help out if I think it's an interesting book or movie by sharing it on Facebook and Twitter, but I don't have the money to pledge anything. The worst thing are those people who stand on corners trying to sign you up to payment plans for charities, and make you feel bad that you don't want to. For one thing, I am not giving strangers my card details! But I don't have any money at the moment, so when I tell them that they usually leave me alone. I offered one of them $2 for the charity once, but they aren't allowed to take cash donations. Only massive chunks out of your bank account. Pfft! They always try and ambush me to and from uni! Well, there's my rant! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooo, I can't stand the street corner ones either - it's like a passive-aggressive form of bullying!! I was followed by one of them once, who assumed that since I'm 'alternative', then I'd be interested ... wish I'd asked which charity he was from so I could have made a complaint!

      Delete
  3. I haven't gotten around to browsing these fundraising sites, though I have heard of them through various sources.

    I usually don't mind if game designers ask for donations to complete a project; I'm very keen on all the money going to the sources rather than large chunks going to mediates. The game really has to seem worth the asking goal, though; tiny cell phone-like games, or games that use rudimentary code/programming, just aren't worth $25,000. I'd just like to note that I have no idea what it truly takes to design a game, all I know is that there are cheap or free software out there to create your very own cellphone game.

    But asking to donate to release an album, or bring out a new clothing line... that's taking things really far. As one who hopes that someday I'll bring my own line into the world, I find that "fundraiser" in such bad taste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have donated to a band via a 'pledge' site, whereby you buy the album in advance - I have no problem with that, since you are getting the product you're paying for. But I do have a problem with 'fundraising', which is more of a donation rather than a pre-purchase.

      Hmm, maybe I should have asked for donations before saving for my $900 table loom - haaha, JUST KIDDING!! ;)

      I personally donate most of my 'donation budget' towards animal shelters, but everyone has their own causes close to their hearts.

      Delete
  4. Whatever DID happen to good old fashioned savings? I believe in donations for charity ans such, but other things seem inappropriate to me. I have seen bloggers put up paypal donation buttons on their site so they can buy a new camera and things like that! To me, one should save their own money for that sort of thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree! Those sort of things are a person's own responsibility - I think it's tantamount to begging o_O

      Delete