Monday, April 8, 2013

no dreads!



EEEEEEP! 

Yes, it was finally time to stop getting my dread extensions put in ... it's been 7 years now of continuous dread changeovers every 3 months, and my scalp definitely needs a rest!

So I decided to grow my own dreads instead, and extend them with wool when they're long enough.  I think my hairdresser was even sadder than me ;)  I must say, I feel weird without them on the back of my head - today I'm feeling decidedly naked and a bit vulnerable!  Pathetic :P


But I made her slightly happier by changing the colour in my fringe to Peacock ;)


In other news, I finished off these infinity scarves/cowls last weekend (I think I need to start calling them 'infinity scarves' rather than 'cowls', because the latter is confusing some people!). 


I was meant to weave 2 in purple and black - one double-length for sale, and the other a single length for myself.  Well, I ran out of purple and didn't have another other suitable wool - so the red is in scratchy Hunters Of Brora wool.  Looks gorgeous, but will be worn purely for marketing purposes.  Of course, I have had a lot of interest in the red, so I've ordered some (softer) red from Bendigo Woollen Mills.  The purple has already been sold - and I haven't even finished it off yet! 


And this has been my weekend project - a dish cloth for Anita.  I've never woven with so many ends before (311) with anything so fine (Cottolin 22/2), so it's been a different experience.  I stuffed up the number of heddles too, but that will be the subject of a separate post ;)

Happy Monday!




6 comments:

  1. as i said on instagram i think this looks great, too and i really hope you share pics of the progress of growing your dreads, too!
    <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much - that means a lot! I'm still getting used to it - would you believe the back of my head feels cold today???

      I will definitely share pics of my growing dreads - I have 3 'babies' at the moment which I have started dreading with a crochet hook. The rest (I think I'll have 2 or 3 more) are awaiting some of my undercut to grow out, since I don't have enough hair at the back!

      Delete
  2. I was just going to say now that you're heading into winter down there, won't your head get cold without your dreads?!!

    The infinity scarves look beautiful! I'll definitely have to order one before winter arrives. Although it's not like it's actually left yet. It's snowing again today. Maybe I should just order it now. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I lasted 13 years with a shaved hair and no dreads - guess I'll get used to it again ;)

      LOL, so much for your 'no buying before you move'!! But of course, if you ever want an infinity scarf, you can definitely order any colour/design that you like ;) xx

      Delete
  3. WOW, that weaving looks hard! That is definitely something I would screw right up! I like the new colours in your hair!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I love the colours too!

      The weaving isn't hard - but the setting up (warping) of the loom is what I found difficult ;)

      Delete