Thursday, July 25, 2013

organising the studio - part 2


Part 2 of our little journey into my studio ... I got rid of the heavy bookcase (can you imagine how difficult it was to get it down the narrow spiral staircase?  We got professional help!), and replaced it with some Ikea Expedit units.


And gone is my old desktop ... I've been slowly transferring stuff to my new laptop, and last weekend it was time to wipe it and get rid of it.


And here is the western side of the room ... the only thing that needs to be replaced here is the daggy 70s dining chair ... one day I'll save up for a nice armchair ;)


It's nearly there ... next on my hitlist is a new cover for the sofa, and new window dressings.

When designing the perfect workspace, you have to bear in mind the space that you occupy.  I wouldn't normally have chosen white furniture and white walls ... but when you live in an architecturally striking house, minimalism is best (I can't believe I just typed that!).  But the older I get, the more I love minimalism - a clean, tidy workspace just makes me feel more organised ;)



8 comments:

  1. The older I get, the more I like white furniture. Perhaps it's because The Cave really is, well, a cave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also think the older you get the more sensible you get about the space around you - my last house was brightly painted, every room a different colour, with lots of heavy dark furniture. That would look stupid in this house, and would take away from the amazing architecture.

      I also find that the busier I get, the 'quieter' my spaces need to be - I used to love clutter, but now it stresses me out!! ;)

      Delete
  2. Oh it is so neat! The colours are perfect. I wish I could keep my space that tidy. I hate when it is untidy .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a constant struggle, believe me!! ;)

      Delete
  3. It looks fantastic, Michelle! Just this week I was combing through some decorating magazines (just one of my vices - please don't judge) and saw a room done with a sofa in exactly that same colour of purple and a vase of flowers that matched. Everything else was white. I loved it!

    So much so, that I'm actually considering leaving the walls in the new place all white. And I can't believe I just typed that! LOL

    But you know, I painted our attic white - maybe you're onto something there, and there is something about all those angles that just cry out for simplicity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe you just typed that either, haaaaa!!! :O

      The rest of your Gothic Mansion was perfect for the gorgeous wallpaper you had though - it really does depend on the space ;)

      Delete
  4. That is scary tidy! I wish I had the self-control to keep things that tidy. It looks like a really stress free working space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe me, it's a struggle sometimes! I try to make an effort to clean up every time I have been working at my desk ... it definitely *does* make the space more calm ;)

      Delete