Tuesday, August 13, 2013

bespoke shoes from a master craftsperson


I have always wanted to have custom-made shoes.  I have small, wide feet and have always had problems getting shoes to fit me properly.  Not only that, but I hate fashion and being at the mercy of trends!

I went past a shoemaker's shop near my area, and thought I'd look further into it.


I looked up her website - Eugenia Neave has been a professional shoemaker in the area for about 17 years - apparently there's only 3 in South Australia now.

On Monday I made an appointment to get fitted for my first pair of bespoke shoes.  I explained the style I liked (mary janes!) and told her I wanted a slightly pointed toe.  Oh, and instead of a bow at the front (which is called 'the vamp', apparently!), I wanted a BAT!  Haaha!  Well, I wasn't going to pay that much for a pair of shoes and have them looking too normal ;)  So I got measured up and she helped me choose a gorgeous 'witchy' heel.  There will be a fitting half way through, and the whole process will take around 6-8 weeks.

I just *had* to ask whether I could take a peek at her workshop - it was amazing!  Lots of 'lasts' on which the shoes are fitted, gorgeous antique machinery and lots of shoes on the go (she was working on 15 pairs at once!).

You can follow her on Instagram (I asked could she please post progress shots!), since she has just started an account.  She said 'would anyone actually be interested in seeing what I do every day?'.  I said 'hell yes!!'. 

I love seeing Master Craftspeople in action, and I love it that there are still some around in the local community.  Next door to Eugenia's shop is an upholsterer - it must be a lovely area to work!

I'll update again when I have pics!

8 comments:

  1. Looks like a beautiful shop! Can't wait to see those beauties on your tootsies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait either - I just hope that they look as amazing as her drawing did ;) The most important thing to me is that they're COMFY!!

      Delete
  2. Bats! With a witchy heel!! Those are going to be an amazing pair of shoes when they're done, Michelle. Unfortunately, I don't have Instagram, so I'll have to wait to see the finished pair when you post them. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, to be honest I hadn't thought about the heel! When she brought out the box of heels, those ones stood out ;) I think I'll be using the same heel shape for my next ones too - pixie boots!

      Delete
  3. BAT Mary Janes with a witchy heel! Perfect! :D Oooh, I can't wait to see them!

    I would love to have shoes custom made for my cursed hard-to-fit feet. I can find big boots that are comfortable enough, but it would be nice to have a pair of girly, pretty shoes for once.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, start saving!! I would rather only a couple of pairs of comfy gorgeous shoes than a wardrobe full of shoes I don't wear ;) Do you have any shoemakers in your area?

      Delete
  4. That sounds so awesome! Let us know how they turn out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will, I can't wait!! She posted a pic on her instagram: http://instagram.com/eugenianeave#

      Delete