Sunday, January 5, 2014

yoga


Yes, that's a 2014 'resolution' ... well, more of an idea of how I can keep fit this year.

I have been loving the weekly Body Synergy classes that I have been doing for the last couple of years - it's a combination of 1/2 hour cardio/weight training/whole body vibration and 1/2 hour floor pilates.  It's fab, and our trainer Lesa is amazing.  Classes are maximum of 4, which means that the trainer can keep a close eye on everyone.  Lately, our classes have stopped due to problems with the building, and to cut a long story short, Lesa won't be teaching for much longer anyway since she will be moving to full time study.  So I've been wracking my brains as to what I will do in its place.  There are Pilates classes nearby, but they're expensive and the time slots get full very quickly.

While internet browsing, I came across this YouTube channel - Yoga With Adriene.  I've never been into yoga, it's a bit slow for my fast-moving brain (which is probably why I *should* be doing it :P).  But after trying a few workouts on this channel, I think it's something I'd like to start doing.  My only issue is motivation ... at least going to a class forces you to go, whereas finding time at home requires will-power - after all, I'd rather be weaving!!

I started with this one:



After that, I decided to go through the Foundations playlist to get the basics down. 

Stay tuned, we'll see how I go!   And let me know if you decide to join in ;)

6 comments:

  1. Good luck sweetie! :) My brain is pretty fast moving as well. I find yoga, particularly Hatha or Iyengar, to be just the trick to slow me down and be present in the moment. It's a little tedious at first, but after a week or two your body and mind start to crave it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it doesn't seem too exciting right now and I get bored easily ... but hopefully there are enough workouts to keep me interested ;)

      Delete
  2. Good luck with it. I find that I have to pay money for classes and that makes me go - my self-motivation is not that good, even when the body starts to ache due to lack of exercises. I am lucky to have a floor pilates class nearby that isn't very expensive. And I do like having the expert there to see what I am doing and to correct me when my stiff body is misbehaving. I expect you will do ok, you seem to have very good self-control and motivation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm in that boat too - I'm very self-motivated when it comes to most things, but unfortunately exercise isn't one of them - I just don't like doing it!! But I will see how I go - I can always join a class down the track if I need more motivation ;)

      Delete
  3. I don't know why I can't reply to you on my page but I was going to ask if you had checked out Sadie Nardini's page on youtube, she does some pretty rockin yoga.

    https://www.youtube.com/user/sadienardini

    I have been trying to incorporate it into my weekly routine. How have you been finding it?

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link, I will give her a go too!

      I originally intended to take turns with one day yoga, one day strength training and one rest day ... but at the moment I am doing yoga about 4-5 times a week and loving it! I get up earlier and do it before work ;)

      Delete